Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Importance of Grandmas

My grandmother passed away peacefully yesterday. She'd had been struggling with strokes for years and was having a more difficult time every day with daily life. I'm so glad she's found her peace.

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of spending summers at Grammy's house. My folks worked full time jobs. My sisters and I spent a bunch of time in the summers with Grammy. When I think about those days, I remember the yard at her house where we were undoubtedly playing on and bickering over the hammock, which we thought was a swing. The yard smelled like summer: freshly cut grass, a neighbor barbecuing, and cookies baking in the oven. Grammy would call us inside for a Purple Cloud, her own delightful grape and banana smoothie that I thought was the greatest thing. We'd sip our drinks around the dining table being ever so careful not to spill, because everyone knew that grape juice stains are impossible. We would play outside until it was either too hot or we were distracted by the box of toys in the upstairs family room. After that, it was blocks, trains, cars, a barrel of monkeys and anything else we could find to mess with. Grammy was always so patient and kind.

I remember Grammy telling stories about moving to Argentina when she was in her early twenties with Papa, Craig and Claudia. They lived at a very high altitude and it was difficult to adjust. Years later, Grammy still knew a bit of Spanish and would help me as I learned. She helped spur my interest in travel.

Grammy made the best soups. I remember going to visit her with Dad. She'd always have something hot brewing on the stove. Her chicken noodle soup with the large homemade noodles was my favorite and I asked for it often.

Food and travel aside, I will always remember my grandmother as the kind matron who always had a thoughtful word and a smile for everyone. She loved hot air balloons, flowers, and her grandchildren. She was a woman of faith and family, the two most important parts of her life. Widowed for 26 years, she was always faithful to and adoring of my grandpa. She always missed him and reminded us of who he was. I can only marvel at a love so strong.

So long, Grammy! I'm so grateful for the example you set. When I think of you, I will always remember to be kind, thoughtful, and generous. I will remember family is so important. Enjoy the next life reunited with your love.
Photo of Shelley and Grammy

No comments:

Post a Comment