Thursday, March 3, 2016

A Park City, UT Ski Holiday

Park City is known for its incredible skiing. I spent my youth learning to ski the soft snow of The Canyons and Deer Valley Resort.  My dad taught me everything I know about skiing. He has drilled into my brain how to react to different obstacles,use my poles, and most efficiently navigate the moguls. I'm ever improving and quite proud of my abilities. I was his prize student... until Mike came along.
Mike is the son Dad always wanted. He's athletic and quick to learn any new skill, unafraid and strong. This week's adventure marked the 10th through 12th times Mike has skied in his life. Unfortunately, we only have a couple of ski days per year. Last year he was slowly, though fearlessly, making single turns down tight chutes among the pines in Centennial Trees (a double black diamond). It was slow progress. This year I was racing to keep up as we both strung quick tight turns together, weaving our way through the evergreens. Amazing! What took me years and years to learn has taken him almost no time. I'm both proud and envious.
This trip held a family ski day for the first day. My two sisters, dad, step-mom, Mike and I spent a whole day skiing groomers, moguls and trails through the trees. The day was beautiful and sunny, finishing with smiles and tired legs all around. We sang whichever songs were in our heads as we glided along. I love my family! Aunt Kristen held a dinner and craft party for the girls afterward.

Day two was a smaller group: Mike, Dad, Lorrie, and me. This day was more moguls and trails than groomers. We skied a hidden ridge line and visited my favorite little cabin in the woods. The cabin is really nothing more than a tiny wooden shelter, but it marks the beginning of a natural half-pipe which is by far my favorite spot on the whole resort. A note about Lorrie: Lorrie is my step-mom. She's unassuming and quiet, but should NEVER be underestimated. She's incredibly smart, for one. She's also like Mike, good at everything she tries. She takes on every trail, bowl, ridge, chute and run with determination. She doesn't care about being fast. She simply goes and conquers. By the end of the run, she's smiling triumphantly.
Our final day started out with a 3 mile run through the North Fields of Heber City, which is where my mom used to run when I was a kid. The sun was just starting to lighten the sky when Mike and I headed out. As we jogged among horse pastures, the low clouds on the horizon began to glow pink and purple against the incoming golden light. The run ended before the sun breached the valley though Mount Timpanogas was basking in the morning rays.
Lorrie couldn't join us for skiing the third day. We spent almost all of our time in Centennial Trees and Triangle Trees among the aspens and pines. In total we had three beautiful days with spring conditions. It was low 40s on the mountain, mashed potatoes at the bottom, with varying texture elsewhere. Every day graced us with sunshine, intermittent blue and moody skies. Another weekend full of happy memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment