Sunday, December 6, 2009

Friendship Day

Yesterday was Friendship Day at Yokosuka Naval Base. This means that the base is open (in a very limited and well-policed way) to the Japanese and other visitors. The gates were positively packed with people waiting in the rain for their allowed entry into a generally off limits area. For me, this was a fairly unique opportunity to take a few photos of the place I work. I am usually forbidden to bring a camera anywhere near the ship since I have access to plenty of areas in which taking photos would cause me to lose my job.
I opted to go late, hoping to get pictures of the GW all lit up with Christmas lights and its patriotic 73. As it turned out, the rain didn't want to go anywhere and it was a very very wet day. After a fantastic curry lunch and purchase of fun socks (these people really love their socks!), I headed over with my friends Mike and Sheila. We arrived at the USS George Washington CVN 73 to a crowd of people including a bunch of wet and very unhappy sailors in their dress blues. Only the well-decorated hangar bay and flight deck were part of the tour. As there are 3 levels between the two, two of the huge aircraft elevators were being employed to lift and lower crowds of enthusiastic people (and bored, wet sailor boys).
Riding the elevator was super fun 1 because its so huge and open and 2 because its so quick and even a mostly smooth ride. That was another opportunity that I don't believe I'll have again. Normally, I have to take the stairs just the same as everyone else who calls the steel rat maze home or work.
Back to the hangar bay... One third of it was closed off to hide our unsightly trailers and forklifts. This left a still enormous area for civilians, sailors, flags, Christmas trees, fake presents, big guns and bigger missiles. There was a ton to see. Sheila and I put on flack jackets and armored helmets and pretended to be soldiers. The Japanese people went nuts! I think about 40 photos were taken of us in just a couple minutes. The sailors were rolling with laughter at Japanese children and schoolgirls posing with a huge gun while making the signature "peace sign" with their fingers.
We also ran into the carrier fire fighters, a group I see regularly. So we posed with them and some big ax-things. The gentleman to my right was breathing loudly through a gas mask in my ear - so creepy!
Once the carrier walk around was concluded, we headed to the next pier in hopes that the Japanese destroyer also featured in this celebration was still open. The skies decided to open and start pouring right about the time we left the flight deck. Soon after arriving at the destroyer, both ships were closed to tourists. Bummer! No tour for me there. Maybe another time. The day was also being called the Grand Illumination because a bunch of Christmas lights have been put up around the base. So, on the very wet walk home with a hot delicious chai tea latte, I took a few photos of the lights. By the time I got home, I was drenched up to the knees, and didn't have a picture of the 73 all lit up, but thought it a totally worthwhile adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment